Wednesday, May 04, 2011


Fishing boats on the beach at Jacmel, Haiti.

I'm feeling energized and focused after my trip.  As I expected, being in a relatively wild and wooly place shook me up in a good way.  There was something in me that wanted to let go of the work world and surrender to the creative life, whether or not there was money in it for me.  Spending a little time in a place with bad water, bad roads, bad power and very little order was a bit of the hair-of-the-dog cure.

That said, it was also very good to be closer to nature.  To hear the sea washing upon the rocks day and night.  To eat fruit that fell out of the trees.  To hang out with goats.  (I always like goats.)

This is an awfully sweet picture.  I hope you'll forgive me for that.  These are actually working fishemen's rowboats.  The fishing industry in Jacmel is currently at the biblical level.

No comments: